My First Adventure into Blog World
What a strange new world this is, that one can just type stuff on a screen and have it appear out there in blog-world for all (well, for a select few of my choosing) to see.
So, here I am, folks. Take it or leave it, but I'm staying here for a while. No stage fright (blog fright?) - that doesn't really bother me here. Actually, these days it doesn't really bother me much of anywhere. Something happened when I hit 40, I think - and it was good! I remember the time well, those 11 years ago. I didn't have any worries about it...I embraced it. And that surprised, and quite delighted me. I felt free and empowered like I never had before. That was fun.
I was quite shy as a child, you see. In fact, I was quite shy until I was about 33, I think. And it didn't happen like the flick of a light switch, this abandonment of my shyness. It came gradually. I had to believe that it was okay and safe not to be shy. That, and the fact that I landed a job that mandated that I really apply my intelligence and speak publicly - as in to the media - in the process. So you have to get it right. (Well, you should get it right or you look like a total jackass and probably don't get to speak out loud again, if you don't lose your job.) I knew I had all the tools, I just never had to put them into practice so instantly. That'll do it, certainly, and having a few older mentors who never questioned that I could do it, and always encouraged me to do it. They would invite my input and they would ask for my help in dealing with issues. In the process, I realized, gee, I can do this! I'm not worried about this. Who's shy now? I really can think and talk at the same time...and look pretty impressive in the process. Damn! I was impressive! And they haven't been able to shut me up since.
It makes all the difference, though, having those people around you who encourage you and support you as you move through the forests of life. We all have them, those forests. They come in different forms, but they're there. Having people around you - family, friends, colleagues - who help show you the way, and allow you to learn and make mistakes, and grow. So key, those personal cheerleaders. I try to be one whenever I can when my family and friends need it. We all need them even when think we've got our world covered, because stuff happens from time to time that isn't always easy to deal with. Having some good folks in your corner is the best.
So, here I am, folks. Take it or leave it, but I'm staying here for a while. No stage fright (blog fright?) - that doesn't really bother me here. Actually, these days it doesn't really bother me much of anywhere. Something happened when I hit 40, I think - and it was good! I remember the time well, those 11 years ago. I didn't have any worries about it...I embraced it. And that surprised, and quite delighted me. I felt free and empowered like I never had before. That was fun.
I was quite shy as a child, you see. In fact, I was quite shy until I was about 33, I think. And it didn't happen like the flick of a light switch, this abandonment of my shyness. It came gradually. I had to believe that it was okay and safe not to be shy. That, and the fact that I landed a job that mandated that I really apply my intelligence and speak publicly - as in to the media - in the process. So you have to get it right. (Well, you should get it right or you look like a total jackass and probably don't get to speak out loud again, if you don't lose your job.) I knew I had all the tools, I just never had to put them into practice so instantly. That'll do it, certainly, and having a few older mentors who never questioned that I could do it, and always encouraged me to do it. They would invite my input and they would ask for my help in dealing with issues. In the process, I realized, gee, I can do this! I'm not worried about this. Who's shy now? I really can think and talk at the same time...and look pretty impressive in the process. Damn! I was impressive! And they haven't been able to shut me up since.
It makes all the difference, though, having those people around you who encourage you and support you as you move through the forests of life. We all have them, those forests. They come in different forms, but they're there. Having people around you - family, friends, colleagues - who help show you the way, and allow you to learn and make mistakes, and grow. So key, those personal cheerleaders. I try to be one whenever I can when my family and friends need it. We all need them even when think we've got our world covered, because stuff happens from time to time that isn't always easy to deal with. Having some good folks in your corner is the best.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home